I'll be honest.
I don't really know where "home" IS anymore?  Even having spent most of a month here at my mom's house in southern Illinois, I can't quite claim it as my own HOME.  Maybe I'm reluctant to settle in, knowing that I'll be traveling and then moving again so soon.

I'm not too worried about feeling "home-less," though.  I've found I catch glimpses of "home" all the time--in a late night conversation with my sister, in perfectly fried farm eggs with my mom, in rollerskating with my 8 year old niece (in the same rink where I learned 26 years ago!), in reading stories and falling asleep with my nephews, in laughing myself to tears with my brother and sister-in-law, in forgetting my worries with my beloved friend Cliff...  Sometimes I think home is where you suddenly see yourself most clearly...





Like 2 weeks ago, when my Auntie Kynda invited me to evening worship at her church A Voice in the Wilderness.  I'd never been there or met any of the members, but within minutes, I felt right at "home."  I am very moved by the voices of genuine and passionate people and this room was FULL of them.  I think many in my generation are turned off of religion--Christianity, in particular--because of the thoughtlessness with which some "Christians" speak and the blatant hypocrisy their closed-mindedness seems to illuminate.  That is why I am all the more drawn in when people are compassionate and loving and fearless.  I was inspired by this congregation!!

Then this past Sunday, I had a REAL "homecoming."  I preached at Burnt Prairie Cumberland Presbyterian Church, a tiny rural church that my ancestors donated land for 150 years ago!  Generations of my family grew up in this church, including my mother and uncles!  It was somewhat surreal to fill the pulpit in a place that shaped the lives of the people who made me who I am today.  In light of the devastating earthquake in Haiti, I spoke about not hiding behind our religion or acting/not acting because of fear of how others will view us, but to reveal ourselves--flaws and all--and attempt to remove barriers between ourselves and others, in order to fully connect, to help, and to heal.

...I think I can call any place I am "home," as long as I'm heeding that advice.

Comments (1)

On January 26, 2010 at 4:19 AM , Peggy said...

You have hit on a major obstacle in evangelism with this quote, " I think many in my generation are turned off of religion--Christianity, in particular--because of the thoughtlessness with which some "Christians" speak and the blatant hypocrisy their closed-mindedness seems to illuminate." The worse news is, it isn't just your generation. I'm seeing it in my generation (boomers) and even in those who are a bit older.

The big question is, what can those of us who are not gone do about it? In the Bible, Jesus, Paul, Peter and others challenged those who were wrong, who were hypocrites, who had wrong theologies and behaviors. When the character of the messenger is in question, it automatically brings the message into question as well.

I pray great Christain leaders will rise up in your generation who will counter all this with the true gospel so people's hearts turn to the Lord as He intended.