The New Year found me heading to the lovely (though frigid) state of Iowa--yes, Iowa!  I had never visited Iowa before and was pleasantly surprised by its character and beauty.  The region along the Mississippi River is especially endearing. I stayed in Burlington--in a hotel the first night.  The next day I hung out with my boss and long-time friend, Bob, making lots of plans and doing lots of brainstorming.  Iowa is very cold, (I really cannot emphasize this point enough.) but Bob and I managed to be productive AND keep warm  AND have fun!  We saw 15 or more bald eagles soaring over the unfrozen parts of the river and later held an international online "call" with my other boss Hiro (in Japan) from a loud and dimly lit riverside restaurant called Mr. Moto's.

(I think "Moto" & "Iowa" both sound like Japanese words!  ...Maybe they are...  I'll soon find out!)



I spent Saturday night with the gracious Carolyn who covered me with 5 blankets and pointed a heater at me.  (Did I mention how COLD it is in Iowa?)  ::shivers::  After a family-style breakfast of eggs and fresh fruit salad, we were off to Shinar CPC.  This church is 170 years old, though the building had to be rebuilt at one point due to fire.  Amazingly the pulpit Bible did not burn in that fire and now sits on display in a plexi-glass case behind the quaint sanctuary.



I felt so blessed to meet the people of Shinar.  I feel like I really got to know people, despite having only an hour or so in their company.  This was a great first stop on my support-raising trail!  It is one of my goals on this journey to deeply connect with the people I meet.  I will remain connected to my new friends in Iowa for a very long time.  ...If I'm ever able to visit again, however, I hope to do so in the spring! :)

Comments (0)