4:15PM Thursday March 17, 2011

(nearly 146 hours or 6+ days since the initial 9.0 mag earthquake)



For one who so recently issued a war cry of solidarity, I feel a bit embarrassed to share with you that for a list of reasons, the people who oversee my ministry here have decided I should plan to leave Japan for a while, just to be safe. So, I have a plane ticket and will hopefully head to the United States on Friday and return on April 8th or some time shortly thereafter.

Thankfully, my embarrassment is almost immediately diminished by determination. This unexpected direction is by no means a derailment of my ministry…or even a detour! No, it appears to me to be a wise precaution to ensure that my [already sensitive] body is not exposed to any abnormal levels of radiation so that I am able to CONTINUE the ministry in the near and distant future! What’s more, I will be able to touch base with all of the amazing people in the United States who have been aching for a way to help! I now feel like my role is to work to unite our efforts so that what we do and what we give is what’s most needed.

I am not a spokesperson for any organization or even for my friends living here and working in the relief efforts, though I am employed by the Missions Ministry Team of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and fully support their unending efforts to raise and dispense funds to aid Japan.

As I mentioned in an earlier blog: If you would like to make a monetary donation to support upcoming work trips and various relief efforts, please earmark your contribution (made payable to “Missions Ministry Team”) “Japan Earthquake” and send it to:


Missions Ministry Team
2807 Traditional Place
Cordova, TN 38016-7414

Or visit the Missions Ministry Team website to make your [secure and tax deductible] donation online. (Be sure to specify that your donation is intended for use by Japan Presbytery’s tsunami relief support by typing “Japan Earthquake” in the “Specific Giving Areas” line. You can select "Disaster Relief Fund" from the pull down menu for "General Areas of Giving.")

That said, here is my message to all of YOU:

Prepare: I am coming home and I want to acknowledge the hurt and helplessness you have all felt as you’ve watched the situation here in Japan unfold and I want to honor the swelling need within you to extend yourself to the people of this peaceful nation. Many have asked me, “RheAnn, what can I do?” and my delay in replying has been because even though I am RIGHT HERE…I have no idea! This level of devastation is unheard of and every day things grow more critical and more confusing. As caring and helpful people who long to support the relief efforts here in any way possible, I urge you to take a cue from the people of Japan and wait. The damages and needs are being assessed and as of now, it is still nearly impossible to get aid to many of the shelters. It is important to remember too that a disaster of this magnitude will take YEARS to overcome, and the Japanese will need many things later that we cannot anticipate now. We don’t want to spend our time, money, and energy on things that won’t be of immediate or ongoing use. When I am briefed by my contacts in Japan or through my missions organization, I will update you. In the mean time, I want to encourage you to consider every imaginable way that you can personally give of your time, talents, care, and money to assist with the great and growing need here. BE CREATIVE, BE COMPASSIONATE, AND BE GENEROUS!! Through my organization and through my own personal means, I will do everything in my power to support you in the ways you are being called to act, whatever they may be. I would request, however, that you check with me before you organize your efforts, so that I can make certain that you have the best information and the most consistent goals. (For instance, you might not want to plan a blanket drive at this stage because there is currently no way to get blankets to the area(s) except through an established and organized system that will take great planning to navigate.) I feel blessed to know (and know of) so many gracious and caring people and to be placed in the unique position to link the needs and ideas with the volunteers to accomplish them.

• Communicate: Talk to me, talk to the Missions Ministry Team, talk to each other about how you can best be of use. Work together.  Comfort one another.  What is in your heart? Maybe what you are feeling is similar to what someone else is feeling. Maybe a question you have can be matched with someone who has an answer. If you think it or feel it, say it. Even if I can’t reply to everyone personally or immediately, I will be spending my 3 weeks in the US attempting to coordinate, encourage, and support all of your efforts on behalf of Japan. I know it is important to you to feel that you are connected to the people here in Japan even though you’re far away. I KNOW that you wish that you could ease their worry and suffering. We will all work together to do what we can, and I will do my best to help you help Japan—not only as a missionary, but also as one with many deep connections to these people and this place. Each of us has been prepared by our life experiences to do SOMETHING to help our fellow humans, and in this time of crisis, it is crucial that we commit to discovering exactly what that is.  I feel blessed to be a point of contact and assurance for you AND the people of Japan.

Regarding my personal situation and condition, I need to say that I plan to work very hard while I am home and after I return, so I apologize to friends and family members with whom I may not get to spend time. I also anticipate that my return to the US will be an emotional one. Anyone who lives away from their home country for an extended period experiences some discomfort or “reverse culture shock,” as it’s called, upon a return of any length. Because I am leaving Japan under a particularly extreme set of conditions, I suspect that I will be filled with concern for those I’ve left behind. I’m sure I will at times become overwhelmed by what appears to me to be abundance and oblivion among some Americans in the face of such devastation and sorrow in this place. I may not be as happy to be home as I imagined I would be or as you would like to see me be. But I will be grateful. Please understand.

Everything in my life and the way I live it has been forever changed. I am trusting myself more and more to do what God is asking me to do, though as a good friend recently reminded me: “God will accomplish what God will accomplish. God wants us all, but God doesn't need any of us.”

So true.

Eight days ago, a small earthquake shook my apartment in the wee hours of the morning and I felt tremendous panic during and immediately after this. 36 hours later, we were hit by a 9.0 Mag quake that became the impetus for an ongoing series of disasters. “Panic” doesn’t begin to encompass my ever-changing feelings. With aftershocks continuing with surprising regularity, it is safe to say that I have grown more calm. Yesterday I tried to sleep after over a day of being awake and as soon as I laid down, a 6.0 earthquake hit. I just opened my window then stayed in my bed until it was over. Last night, a similar quake hit and I opened my back door but kept eating my dinner of raw broccoli and mayo. My threshold has increased.

As you probably have learned, Japan uses a separate system of measurement for earthquakes—it’s an experiential scale that is based on intensity. Here is the description of it:

Seismic intensity scale - measure of tremors


At an intensity of 4 or more, objects can fall, and people should take action to protect their safety.


Seismic intensity & Status


Seismic intensity 0 Tremors cannot be felt.


Seismic intensity 1 A few people indoors feel a slight tremor.


Seismic intensity 2 Many people indoors feel a tremor. The tremor wakes up a few people who were asleep.


Seismic intensity 3 Almost all people indoors feel a tremor, and some of them become afraid.


Seismic intensity 4 People feel moderate fear, and some of them take action for their safety.


The tremor wakes up almost all people who were asleep.


Seismic intensity 5 (lower end) Many people take action for their safety, and some of them find it difficult to do so.


Seismic intensity 5 (higher end) People feel acute fear, and many of them find it difficult to act.


Seismic intensity 6 (lower end) It is difficult to stand.


Seismic intensity 6 (higher end) People cannot stand, and can move only by crawling.


Seismic intensity 7 People are at the mercy of the tremor and cannot move about as they wish.


I am now capable of determining the seismic intensity based on what I experience and how much my ceiling light moves. Obviously, Friday’s quake was ranked as a 7. A few of the aftershocks have measured at high 5’s, but most are in the 3-4 range.  The deteriorating scene at the power plant compounds the situation here considerably.

If such a scale existed for emotional intensity, I’d say most people here and I’m sure even some of you are operating at about a 7. I hope that the intensity of our compassion and willingness to help will be off the charts.

God bless you and as one of my students just wrote to me:  Pray for Japan.

Comments (1)

On March 29, 2011 at 12:42 AM , xJikaix said...

I am glad to hear you're well.