9:45 AM March 15, 2011

(87 hours/ 3.5+ days since the initial 9.0 mag earthquake)

What do I know?  What has changed?  Only everything.  Only nothing at all.

The trash collectors came on time today.  The children playing in the apartment above mine scurried out onto their balcony and called to them in sing-song voices, "Bye-byeee!  Bye-byeee!"  It is nice to hear their laughter and to remember a time in life when I and all the "grown-ups" around me weren't juggling hope and fear like it's our full-time job.

Yesterday, I heeded advice (both by choice and necessity) to stay home.  The train lines surrounding my area were--and still are--not running, and trains throughout the Tokyo-Yokohama region are running on limited schedules.  Of course, this made for a more chaotic Monday than most as people tried to get to and from work in, this, the largest metropolis in the world.

The reduction of running trains and the accompanying mandatory conservation of electricity have served as more than an inconvenience, though.  My impression is that we are all dealing with this without much complaint because it feels like the only way we can "help."  To make do with little or no electricity or to have to walk places or change plans feels minor compared to the experience of thousands of others in the North--the images of whom Western media is no doubt inundated.  I think, too, these conditions are positioning us to appreciate things we'd previously taken for granted and to mindfully make changes in our eating and in our lifestyles.

Personally, I couldn't bring myself to eat for most of the day yesterday.  In part, this was because I felt like fasting in solidarity with all of the folks in shelters who are, no doubt, getting by with very little food, and in part, because I worried about my own rations and felt the need to make what food I had last as long as possible.  Finally in the late afternoon, I decided to head to the grocery store to stock up on supplies.  My goal was to get items that need not be refrigerated or cooked since power cuts are expected to occur any day now and could last as long as August.  (Also, I am absolutely still too afraid to use my gas stove because of the aftershocks.)  Though many of the shelves in my neighborhood's largest market were COMPLETELY bare, I was able to purchase 2 full eco-bags of food and supplies.  (Toilet paper, water, and batteries were also on my list, but were regrettably sold out at the 3 stores I visited.)

When I first stepped out of my apartment to go to the store, I saw my neighbor to the left.  He lit up when he saw me and said, "Konnichiwa!"  ...I am not exaggerating when I say, this is the first time he's ever spoken to me.  Around the corner, another neighbor greeted me enthusiastically, and along the walk to the market, many people acknowledged me with a nod or small smile.  Something has changed between us all, and I won't even try to put it into words.  I suppose it is proof, though, that regardless of location or culture, tragedy brings humans together.  I found it to be very moving.  ...I walk this same street every day, but yesterday, it was a different street.

On the way back home, I passed a realty sign beside a small apartment building.  I noticed that someone had pressed their chewing gum onto the eye of the agent's photo.  I imagined the moment that this had occurred and how the person who put this gum there probably thought how funny it was...but probably felt a little bit bad about it at the same time.  And then I thought about how many moments like that the victims of the tsunami must have had in their lifetimes.  So many moments.  Simple little moments.

Now we know that there will be more aftershocks and today local officials finally announced what I've heard rumored for 2 days:
"Strong aftershocks may cause tsunami" (from Kyodo news)
Aftershocks continue from Friday's massive quake in northeast Japan. The Meteorological Agency has warned that strong aftershocks could trigger more tsunami.

The magnitude 9 earthquake on March 11th triggered major tsunami, mainly along the Pacific northeast coast.

The agency says about 200 aftershocks measuring magnitude 5 or more have occurred. Tremors with an intensity of 4 or higher on the Japanese scale of zero to 7 reached 50 from Friday through Monday.

It warns that strong aftershocks are highly likely and that a quake with an intensity of 6 could hit, possibly generating tsunami.
And with dueling reports about the future of the nuclear reactors in Fukushima and the potential impact of radiation leaked and leaking from that site, it is very difficult to maintain hope OR to make good decisions about one's own safety.

I've asked a few people for their thoughts and advice about the situation...because I don't want to be foolishly sitting here if I am in danger and could conceivably move to safety and come back to help when things are more stable.  In fact, I asked two of the people I trust the most.  One said he doesn't think it will get bad enough that I will need to evacuate...and one said to get as far away from the nuclear power plant as possible.

Hmm.

I think I'll stay.  At least, that is my decision for now.  When I got my iPhone a few days after arriving here last April, the staffperson overseeing the purchase asked me to choose the last 4 digits of my own phone number.  I chose 2-0-1-3.  My commitment to be in Japan was through 2013, and so long as the government here provides as honest and protective advice and information as possible, I will continue to do as they suggest.  I will stay put.

I feel I'd rather be subjected to this confusion and to these aftershocks and to whatever my future here may hold than to needlessly abandon the people I came to serve.

I just have to keep believing there is a Higher Power at work here and open and ready myself to be of use.

Strength:  I recently read this quote, “A strong woman knows she has strength enough for her journey, but a woman of strength knows that it is in her journey where she will become strong”.
Please continue your prayers and support of the people in Japan, and please forgive me for being so self-centered in this blog entry.  Like everyone here, I am swollen with grief and worry...but I can't speak for everyone here...

Comments (2)

On March 15, 2011 at 11:37 AM , Becky said...

Reading your words and praying, RheAnn.

 
On March 15, 2011 at 11:51 AM , Us said...

Doing the same. You are so brave and selfless. I want to hug you across the world and tell you everything will be fine. God is using you for His great work and will be faithful and just to complete it. Love you!